Friday, August 17, 2007

Freedom...loving it.

Im enjoying this…my new found freedom. I can wake up whenever, eat whatever, go wherever. So apart from the shabby and not-so-clean facilities of this hostel, I am liking the opportunity to meet and speak with so many people from all over. Some of them are counselors from the other camps, some are independent travellers, others are on internship. In the past five days, I have seen more things, made more friends and learnt more things about life, about other people than I have in the last 2 months.

The first 2 days we arrived here in NYC, Nicola and I explored Times square.



We took a ferry which passed Liberty Island (where the statue of Liberty stands) to Ellis Island. When we arrived at the pier, Nicola said my face lit up the moment I saw the sea. There's something about me and the sea. Being near water makes me happy. Its was a pefect day to be there. The sun was shining brightly, glittering rays reflecting off the surface of the water. Besides the ferry, there were beautiful big Schooners, Keelboats, Cruising boats, Junks..I took so many pictures of boats that I think I was more interested in the boats than the Statue of Liberty..haha.




Ellis Island is a must see. It was an island which back in the days acted as an immigration centre. It was the first american land that their forefathers (and mothers) saw after leaving their homes in Poland, Germany, Japan, etc and enduring months and months of treacherous seas. For many, it was the land of hope. For others, the land of disappointment. Those who did not pass the medical or mental test were sent home. The audio tour really brought the exhibits to life and you could feel for the immigrants.

Following that, we walked to the financial district.
NYC or Tanjong Pagar?

Later that night, Nicola and I said our goodbyes and took taxis to our respective hostels. I'll miss her. Im sure we'll keep in touch.

At the hostel I met up with YingYing. The next afternoon was walking and more walking. We explored the centre of Manhattan and caught a play 'I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change' It was hilarious. On the way back, we bumped into Ozzy Osborne live in concert!


The next day, we explored Central Park, Grand Central station, Ford foundation building and the United Nations Head office.




Later that night, I met up with Alyssa, one of my campers, and had a nice dinner with her, Mommy Martha, Uncle Rob and Daddy Crespo. They were one of the families that I really liked. Awesome people. Then Ed called and he took me to a Comedy Club! Ive always wanted to go to one.

The next day, Ying and I explored Greenwhich Village, where its famous for its homosexuals. Then SOHO, famous for shopping. Then Little Italy and Chinatown. I loved how those 2 areas are just a street away but a whole new world apart. If someone blindfolded me and brought be to Chinatown, I'd have no idea that I was in New York.

Following that, we went to city hall and ground zero. Then a thought came to me - good thing I'd have left the states by Sept 11 this year.

Then yesterday, we visited the Rockafella Plaza, and went on the CNBC tour of the studios where they filmed Saturday Night Live and several talkshows. It was really interesting. Pity that phototaking was not allowed. Then at night, we went to my first Yankees match!!

Alot of events packed into 5 days huh... The fact that I havent been getting much sleep really doesnt help. Been staying up late chatting at the hostel.

I managed to get in touch with Ruoying. Going to her place very soon. Can't wait to see her. So its Boston tomorrow until 20th, then maybe a one-day sleepover at Alyssa's Place. Till next time!

No comments: