Monday, August 27, 2007

Leeaving on a Jetplane (again)

Its Dday again. Goodbyes, tears, suitcase and memories. Im amazed at how time does not matter when it comes to building friendships. Ive always thought it did.

So I left the apartment this morning at 545am after not having much sleep and took a cab to Laguardia Airport to catch my 8am flight from NY to Chicago then to San Diego.

My stay with Ruoying gave me the familiar feeling of home that I very much missed. Shes my oldest friend whom Im still in touch with. We’ve known each other for 15 yrs can you believe it? That’s like 2/3 of my lifetime! People living in the house were – her, her sis Ruoxi, and their roommates Geri and Cecilia. Im touched at how they were all so warm to me since the very beginning, even though I haven’t met Ruoying in 2 yrs (since I brought prata to her house the morning she left for the states to go to University in 2004. The same prata that gave her diarrhea all the way from Singapore to America. haha..)

Ruoying and me


And even though Ive been to her house in Singapore a couple of times, I never really got to know her sister becos I remembered she was so fierce. Everytime we commented that Ruoying looked like the elder one cos she was so much taller, Ruoxi would frown and walk away. But she has since become a lot alot nicer. Really took care of me like her little sister. Always taking us to nice food places. She loves good food and even has a food blog.

In the picture, Geri, Ruoxi, me at the traffic light in Boston


I also enjoyed getting to know Geri, especially in Boston where she, Ruoying and I spent 2 days just eating and chilling. From Donuts for breakfast to Ramen for lunch to Cakes and Eclairs for tea to Cocktails before dinner, to Pasta and Meatloaf for dinner then we were so stuffed, we had to tahpao the Cheesecake back to the hotel for breakfast the next day. The same cheesecake which I woke up to in the morning, next to my pillow, with Ruoying slowly digging into it. Of course, I grabbed a spoon and joined in.



Ruoying and I in a picture that Ruoxi tricked us into taking at Harvard University. Legend goes that if you touch the left foot of that statue, your children will go to Harvard. And guess what. Apparantly, the students at Harvard pee on that exact spot the night before convocation. And Ruoxi only told us the story after she made us pose for the picture..


And Cecelia whom so graciously let us play with her keyboard piano in her room and at the same time made me realize that I really want to continue my music lessons with Uncle Sadli and learn how to write music that allows me to express myself and keep that part of me outside of work/career alive.

And catching up with Ruoying was really one of the best things that came out of the trip. We hung out and talked like old times, like the 2 years apart was really 2 months. And she was every bit the perfect host. Always one step ahead, getting me pillow, putting my blanket in the laundry before I came, cooking curry chicken for us, taking me to the eyebrow threading place, teaching me how to do laundry, even being my alarm clock, waking me up in time for the airport and sending me on a cab at 545am even when her flight was later. Their warm hospitality really touched me. Glad to have friends like that.

And of course, the Crespo family + Uncle Rob. How they so graciously invited me to their home and let me in on personal stories and showed me the rest of their family including the 6 cats (one for every Crespo!). How they took time off despite their packed schedules to show me the towns, including the very beautiful Cove where Mummy Martha and Uncle Rob grew up in. And showing me the Brendon Gallery, the fruit of their labour that they are so proud of, which I think is awesome. And little Alyssa for giving up her very comfy bed for a night even when I insisted that I should sleep on the couch. And Uncle Rob for being the perfect guide, and being warm, caring and funny which I believe are the traits responsible for making him so popular in the town of Madison where he coaches Soccer.

Mummy Martha and Alyssa and me at the Cove where Martha grew up


And of course the most random events that happen. Meeting people you never thought would touch your life like they did. Whether it was for 2 months in the hellhole or 2 weeks in the city or just 2 hours in transit at the Chicago Airport, the stories that I share with these people and the stories that they share with me have altered and shaped my perspectives and made a permanent impact on my life. Its times like these when I really feel alive, that Im looking forward to every moment ahead, anticipating, all ready to soak up any experience that comes my way. That’s the way it should be right. Im glad to be here and Im all set for the next leg of my Journey – Around the world at sea.







No comments: