Thursday, September 13, 2007

Konichiwa.

Konichiwa from the land of sushi, sashimi and udon! I am now at Kaosan youth hostel in Tokyo, typing this with free Internet. There're about 8 of my friends staying here with me. And because I didnt manage to book a bed, the internet lounge is my home for the night. Not that I mind..

So after a stretch of 10 long days, we finally docked at Yokohama, Japan today!! Thank goodness because I thought I was almost going to jump out the side of the boat from boredom...and stress.

The past week or so has been intensive lessons and mid-term exams. If you think going to school on the boat is all fun and games, think again. Ok.. maybe for some people here that don't really give a rats ass, it is. But my dad paid good money, so Im determined to learn something. That means I actually do my readings...even when the rocking of the boat puts me to sleep sometimes, I wake up and continue reading.

Since we were sailing in the Pacific Ocean from Hawaii to Japan, we have been learning about the Polynesian islands, Phillippines, and lately, everything about Japan including Pearl Harhour, World War II, Japanese culture of Collectivism and Business rituals. Overall, I say its been pretty enlightening.

So the few days before we docked, we had a major exam for each subject. Which hence explains the stress. What to do, kiasu. And imgaine all that, plus having to plan where to go, what to do, where to stay, work out how to get from here to there for Japan, China and Vietnam. All these without the help of the Internet. Well, the reason I have to plan all of the 3 countries at once is because we'll only have 2 days in between departure from Japan to arrival in China (where I'll be travelling over land and air, instead of sea to HK) and 2 days between departure from HK to arrival in Vietnam. Busy Busy Busy.

Now, whenever I step in a new country, everyday is an adventure. Let me begin. So after we finally got off the ship after customs took like 4.5 hours, one big group of us that signed up for the field programme made our way to meet Sony Corporation's GM, who's now retired. Sidetrack a bit..see, when we pay for these field programmes, we get these yellow tickets, which states "Do not lose this, it is as good as cash". Now my roommate was given 2 of these yellow papers, I think by mistake. So she gave me one of it, and guess who got to go free :)

Turns out the journey took 2 hrs, and due to the delay in customs, we were 3 hrs late! If I were the GM, I would have gone home after the first hour. But he waited.. really nice man. So he gave us an interesting presentation which ended at 6pm. By then, all we wanted was to get to the hostel in Tokyo. So not knowing where we were, and with the street address and very brief directions on how to get there in hand, Katie, Hillary and me broke away from the group and made our own way to Tokyo. It was not an easy task trying to get places without being able to speak or understand the language. But the Japanese people were really helpful. Because we didnt have the right maps, we almost had to entirely rely on the directions from passerby to get to our destination. And by the time we got to Tokyo Rail Station, it was 8+pm. We had to get to the hostel by 9pm because thats when the office closes. So with our heavy backpacks, we had to sprint the last leg of the journey, following closely behind a Japanese lady, who knows the way, on her bicycle! It was souch a bizzare moment that all of us simultaneously burst into laughter.

So finally, at 915pm, we got here. And we saw the rest of the group that split up with us! We were so excited we were hugging each other! Then after that we had dinner and just wondered around the streets.


Now by this time I was T-I-R-E-D. So all I wanted was to use the internet and go to bed (I was gonna share a bed with one of them) So Kiya, Tara and I decided to come back while the rest wondered on. As we were walking back, we passed a japanese roadside stall selling Yong Tau Fu-like things.


Ive never seen one of these stalls in real life and it reminded me of a Japanese TV show that I saw on TV, so I wanted to try it. We sat down with 2 other old ladies and 3 middle-aged men. They were all very friendly, ponting at the food, recommending to us whats good. So one lady in particular was really smiley. She asked where we were from, and with the very little japanese I know, and the very little english she knows, we managed to have a very animated conversation peppered with laughter. Then she asked for my telephone number and wrote her address on the disposable wooden chopstick and handed it to me. She drew the map of Japan and showed us where she lived said somehthing about inviting us to her house! There and then, I was so tempted to say yes. If I had a month here and I didnt have to catch an 8am train to Hiroshima, I'd so do it. Unfortunately, time wasnt on our side. Then she signaled to the stall owner and he brought out 3 cups and started to pour sake in it! She was buying us sake! The american(Kiya) with us was apprehensive and the malaysian(Tara) said she didnt drink. So I signaled 2 instead of 3 and we got away with 2 cups. 2 cups which I almost had all of because the other 2 were wusses. Then the Japanese lady took out smth from her plastic bag and signaled me to go over. She had a present for me! and we just met 10mis ago! It was Japanese man pants with dragonflys on them. She must have bought then for her husband or somehting. I was so surprised. So I searched all over my body for something to give her in return. All I had on me was melted popsicles, candy, my wallet and my camera. I asked Kiya if she wanted to give away her camera and she gave me that look. Haha.. So the most appropriate thing to give away I felt, was the elephant coin pouch I had bought from Thailand which I have been using as a foreign currency coin pouch. So I gave it to her and she was so happy. Japanese old ladies are so cute. Then eventually the night ended and here we are in the hostel where travellers meet and trade stories.

Awesome day huh. Havent had any sleep. Going on a 5hr train ride. Will reply all my emails within the next few days... So for more adventures, watch this space for Japan Day 2!!

No comments: